Monday, March 22, 2010

equal rights

Equal rights started off incredibly slow and in fact took a few day to get into but none the less I eventually fell right into it. What grabbed my attention. Was the rambunctious little girl Eskarina, you could not help but fall in love with her character. She really just had a wit about her. You never knew what she would do next but you knew it would be really entertaining. You really felt for the other characters in the story such as granny weatherwax who took it upon herself to train little esk. Even she never knew what to expect from the little trouble maker. The adventures esk has are phenomenal at nine years old she can completely take care of herself well sort of. Well she can at least handle herself. She has a really difficult personality and I connect with her on that level which is really nice. I liked the idea behind the book but I dont think it was executed very well. If another author other than terry pratchett had written the book. It would have been much stronger. But the book stayed true to its name. It was really about the struggle for equal rights in society. And that is a heavy topic especially in todays society. The whole idea of wizards only being men and witches only being women is incredibly unfair and then to have a female wizard /witch really messes with things. But thats what we want, we want to see things change we want to see difference. I have taken a look at terry pratchett's other work and I have found it to be less enjoyable I have not read a lot of it but I have peeked into it. And I have to say not for me. But the whole Idea was a really neat concept, the world being carried on the back of a great turtle on the backs of four elephants and how the world is shaped like a disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment