Sunday, April 25, 2010

blood child

Blood child has to my favorite story I have read this semester. I just wish it was not a short story. The whole idea for it was 100% original. The story did remind me of aliens only because of how the zenomorphs need a host for their species. But I still maintain that this story is original. I had to read it twice in order to understand what was going on. But I am glad I did because there was a lot to understand. And that was really important to really get the story. The book was very science fiction. The author Octavia Butler really plays with our fears. I really respect that. Blood child is not an easy story to stomach. Especially when she describes the birthing scene that was really rough. Especially on the main character who is supposed to carry the creatures eggs knowing full well what will happen to him. We often have nightmares about such catastrophe's happening to us where in some scenario we encounter some sort of bug or animal we have never seen before and then bitten by them or something much like that were DNA is exchanged. And then later on we might be fine for one minute and then all of a sudden we are stricken with horrible pain beyond any conceivable notion. And just before we die we witness these horrible little creatures coming out of our bodies and with or last breath we know what has befallen us. And it is that very fear the author left us with to feel. I really enjoyed the authors note about how many people mistaken the story for one about slavery. And to be quite honest it is not hard to see why it be seen as so. But I could also see how the book was primarily about this strange relationship between the two species.

No comments:

Post a Comment